TOK: COLOR OR SYNESTHESIA PROJECT PROPOSAL
***Directions: Download or “Make a copy” of this document. When finished, post to your blog.
Students should by this date (see bottom) submit a written proposal for the project:
1. What is the overall theme – color or synesthesia? (If synesthesia, what senses are you addressing?)
I think I’d like to focus on synesthesia.
2. What Ways of Knowing are you addressing besides Sense Perception? (Reasoning? Emotion? Language?)
3. To what Areas of Knowledge does your project relate? (Arts, Psychology/Human Sciences, Maths, Natural Sciences, Ethics, History?)
Actually, English? Unless you consider creative writing art.
4. What is it exactly, you plan to do and/or investigate?
I plan to investigate the use of synesthesia in writing.
5. What is your driving question? (should be open-ended, perhaps starting with “How do we know” or “To what extent”)
How effective is the use of synesthesia in transferring ideas through writing?
6. How is your project inherently about knowledge/knowing?
It looks at the technique of the writer and how the specific words we choose actually affect how people think and feel.
7. What materials will you need?
A computer, and people to read my work.
8. Who could assist you / mentor you on this project?
Maybe Mr. St. John or Ms. Trout?
9. How will you present the project to the class?
I could have people read two copies of the same story: one written with traditionally ridged color descriptions, and one with more synestishic descriptions, and I could see which people like better and why.
10. Projects are due the Cycle of March 1 – how do you plan to manage the time for this task?
Have an outline done by next weekend, write the week after that, then edit the following week.